Cllr Sue Cooper, Leader South Oxfordshire District Council, has written to the Secretary of State for Transport to ask the government to speed up delivery of several local rail projects currently being discussed in parliament.
As part of the government’s rail infrastructure investment, the council would like to see faster delivery of sustainable rail travel to encourage greater local and national passenger and freight numbers using rail services.
The council want to see the following improvements bought forward:
* Oxford station expansion to accommodate more lines and train services
* an upgrade to the lines between Didcot and Oxford to help ease congestion on the north-south route
* opening of Wantage and Grove station to serve a significant area within the Science Vale
* reopening of Cowley branch line for passenger use – as recommended by the National Infrastructure Commission
* delivery of the East-West Railway link and direct train service between the internationally renowned science areas of Oxford and Cambridge
Cllr Sue Cooper said, “Our region is a popular place to live, work and invest and, in the next 15 years, the county is set to receive even more growth and investment. To help ease current and future transport issues, we’d like the government to fast-track investment in our local rail projects and increase sustainable transport for our residents and businesses.”